Wednesday, October 17, 2012

in which i do a series of things



This is the piece that was in the CCAC's Thunderdome show. I'm actually happy with it, which I didn't think I would be. It took me most of the summer to come to this point. Originally it was a video dealing both with deliberate performance and with returning the gaze of the viewer, but it didn't mesh the way I'd hoped. I think I'm going to make a second video dealing with gaze, and maybe they can be shown together if I ever show this again.

The quote that sums up my intent for this video better than any artist statement I could come up with so far goes, "Our bodies are occupied territories. Perhaps the ultimate goal of performance, especially if you are a woman, gay or a person “of color,” is to decolonize our bodies; and make these decolonizing mechanisms apparent to our audience in the hope that they will get inspired to do the same with their own." (Guillermo Gómez-Peña “In Defense of Performance Art” )

Also, originally I wanted to call this "I'm not Dutch," but I don't know if anyone would get the joke.

Apropos nothing, this has been my top/ most-enjoyable time-waster this week: SCP. (Hint: go to the full experiment log.)

No comments:

Post a Comment