Wednesday, September 28, 2011

What I did on the Net today-- ancient history edition

Continuing my previous experiment, and inspired by Robert Lorayn.

My earliest Internet experiences must have been such games as Poke the Bunny and Smack the Monkey on iambored.com (or the 1999-2000 equivalent). I looked up what sex was, and the Internet gave me an overwhelming answer (and my parents gave me firewalls/ parental controls). I had a neopets account, mostly to use the Bubble Shooter game. My four or five close friends shared a blog (though we didn't use that word, it was a diary) in the 5th grade, and my best friend and I "hacked" it by posting comments "anonymously," from a boy named Ben. Eventually we confessed, but it was hilarious while it lasted.

In Junior High I got into Runescape and spent hours wandering between mine and smelting forge and anvils, not killing anything (not chickens, not squirrels) and leveling up very slowly. I gave up eventually, possibly upon the discovery of deviantart... and possibly because I never grasped the community aspect of the game. I hated talking to anyone I didn't know (which was more or less everybody), so the game held no human appeal for me. Around this time, too, a friend introduced me to a blog site called CrazyLife upon which I wrote little stupid stories during study hall. Through this I came to Xanga and Livejournal, where I had friends and did write regularly for a time.

In High School, facebook appeared. And for a while I suppose it was magical, pictures and statuses and apps. Here was something unlike anything else my friends had tried to get me to join, Hi5 and all those other, less-successful social networking sites. I also had a long list of youtube videos bookmarked, which functioned as my music base until iTunes was installed.

Then in college came all the required sites, UC email and blackboard and various such things. Endless logins and password changes. I tried to update my online portfolio from deviantart to artician, which is more professional. It is also smaller and less active.

Tumblr. I think I'll save my thoughts on tumblr for another day. Suffice to say, tumblr is the new facebook.

(Further updates in this vein will continue on a separate blog, still to be determined. Stay tuned.)

No comments:

Post a Comment