Sunday, April 17, 2011

Shakespeare and other things

So today I went and saw the Cincyshakes' production of Julius Caesar. It was fantastic--the roles were all gender-swapped, so pronouns and suchlike all had to change... but names stayed the same. It was such an interesting study in gender roles, especially for a Shakespeare play... but even in today's day and age, it was tricky to wrap ones' head around Calpurnia being the obedient, worried husband. And I consider myself a feminist!

If you live in Cincinnati and enjoy live theater, go see Cincyshakes at some point. I've seen several of their comedies (set in different eras, like Twelfth Night in the 20s; Taming of the Shrew in the era of silent films with incarnations of the Marx brothers and the Three Stooges; and A Comedy of Errors in gaudy sci-fi) and they have all been excellent.

In other news, I am getting rolling on my photography project. I stuffed a roll of 100 TMAX into my Pentax PC-33 (my very first camera, a cheap point-and-shoot I've had since I was eight or so), so we'll see how those turn out.

Basically, this. I have misplaced the vinyl case but the thing is pretty sturdy for being all plastic and over ten years old. The only issue I have with it is it EATS batteries. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment